Medicare Supplements and Medicare Savings Program
Many seniors question whether Medicare Savings Programs in their area can help them in paying premiums. Confusion regarding this is quite obvious since both Medicare supplements and Savings Programs are meant to help recipients cover their out-of-pocket expenses. These expenses are not covered by your original plan.
An Insight into Medicare Savings Programs:
Savings programs are sometimes addressed as MSPs, and they are subsidies of Medicaid that help people with low-income, pay for their out-of-pockets expenses. These extra charges can be in the form of co-insurance, co-payments or deductibles. These programs vary state by state.
Beneficiaries, who are qualified for Medicare (QMB), generally must be at the poverty level to be a part of the savings program. Specified Low-Income beneficiaries are at the second level of qualifying and obtain a moderate subsidy. Qualified individuals are at the third level and obtain the minimum subsidy.
Medicare Supplements in Your Area:
These plans are often called as Medigap plans. These plans are standardized insurance programs sold by private companies in the United States. It provides coverage for deductibles, co-payments and co-insurance. These plans can be bought in addition to your Medicare Parts A and B. It provides added benefits like coverage for foreign travel, skilled nursing care and hospice care etc.
Advantages of Medicare Supplements:
Medicare supplement plans are really beneficial for people above 65 years of age and for those who are physically disabled. With original plan you can also opt for suitable supplement insurance which would make your life more comfortable. It is important to choose a proper combination as only then you can get adequate benefits out of the supplement policy.
There are several companies operational in the market and the best technique is to visit an insurance broker’s website. The website will give you a good idea about the plans, rules and regulations of various companies.
Shawn, a physically disabled man was using a Medicare insurance plan but was not aware of the benefits offered by supplemental plans. When one of his colleagues told him about it, Shawn was very impressed and signed up for the plan offering coverage for drugs expenses.
Shawn visited the websites of some of the best companies and came to know about various plans and the rates offered by them. Then, he visited his doctor and decided to buy a plan for drug expenses under Part D program. He ended up saving a lot of money which he earlier spent on his medicines.
Can MSPs Pay Medicare Supplement Premium?
As you can see, Medicare supplements and savings program provide similar benefits. But, it must be noted that savings programs usually cannot be applied to supplement premiums, although these plans can cover costs that are leftover after the benefits fall short.
For instance, supplemental plan L covers 75% of the costs that are not covered by the original plan and carries an out-of-pocket limit of $2300 each year. A MSP can pay for the remaining 25% that is not covered under Plan L.
It is important to observe that in the above case, you would have to pay monthly premium for Medicare supplements irrespective of any health care costs incurred. This is the reason why most seniors prefer who qualify for the savings program do not buy supplement plans.
If you anticipate that your earnings are to increase and knock you out of a savings program, you might like to stick to Medicare supplements concurrently to your MSP benefits. This is because your monthly premium for a supplemental plan would become more expensive the longer you hold back to buy the plan. Receiving a cost-effective supplement plan, such as Medigap plan A, can keep you enrolled in Medicare supplements before you lose your benefits of savings program.
Always bear in mind that every state features a slightly different form of savings programs with different income requisites and benefits. Contact the agency in your state that regulates such plans. Laws fencing Medicare supplements and supplement premiums additionally vary by state, so do your homework prior to making any decision.
Our Medicare Supplement Rates Company helps you choose the best plan. What are you waiting for? Go out, talk to your friends, take advice from your physician and select the best policy as it will help you in saving a lot of cash.
av 1125 140 03032012